Central Florida is a world class fishing destination where freshwater and saltwater fishing are possible year round. Known for its warm weather and excellent fishing locations, anglers of different skills head to the region to experience once in a lifetime action packed fishing trips.
Surrounded by Atlantic Ocean on the east, Gulf of Mexico on the west, saltwater fishing in Central Florida provides abundant fishing opportunity throughout the year. In addition, with an extensive list of bountiful lakes, rivers and streams, freshwater fishing in the area is exceptional. Whether you are a professional or novice angler, you can find a fishing location and type of fishing that best suits you.
With an array of fishing locations, Central Florida has something for every angling skills. Fishing the region’s inland waters, state parks, piers, bridges and surrounding ocean waters allow you to catch a wide variety of fish species including:
- Black drum
- Jack crevalle
- King mackerel
- Largemouth bass
- Red fish
BEST MONTHS TO FISH
Summer – Tarpon, Redfish, Trout, Ladyfish, Jack Crevalle, Kingfish, Sharks
Winter – Redfish & Blackdrum
Spring – Redfish, Jack Crevalle, Ladyfish
Fall – Redfish, Snook, Tarpon, Flounder, Shark, Bluefish, Trout, Mackerel
WHAT TO BRING AND WEAR WHEN FISHING
- Comfortable clothes (depending on the weather)
- Food & snacks
- Camera or video camera
- Your own gear
- Live bait
- Getting There
- Non-Fishing Attire
- Activities and Attractions
Early history of Central Florida began after the Seminole War. The small forts built during Seminole War became the modern towns of Ocala, Orlando and Fort Pierce.
War veterans, rich investors, freed slaves and immigrants flock to Central Florida when Seminole War ended, building homes and ranches in Orlando and neighboring areas of Kissimmee, Ocala and Saint Cloud. These pioneers cultivated the land and planted citrus, making the region the world’s prime producer of citrus. However, things changed when several freezes destroyed acres of groves in the 1980s.
Although the thousands of acres of groves were replaced with subdivisions, Central Florida remained as the agricultural hub of Florida. Oranges, tomatoes, celery and grapefruit are grown in valleys and flat lands. Other than its warm weather, historical sights and long stretch of sandy beaches, Central Florida is home to the largest theme parks in the entire state of Florida.
- Orlando International Airport – your choice airport if you’re planning to visit East Central Florida; Cocoa Beach, Melbourne, Orlando, Titusville, Daytona Beach, New Smyrna Beach, Cape Canaveral and Sanford. Alternatively, you can fly into Daytona Beach International Airport.
- Tampa International Airport – your choice airport if you’re planning to visit West Central Florida; Winter Have, Tampa, St. Petersburg, Clearwater, St. Pete Beach and Port Richey.
- Driving to Central Florida is accessible via I-95 and I-75.
- Central Florida is served by Amtrak train carrying passengers to different Central Florida cities and locations.
- Central Florida is served by Greyhound Bus with scheduled services to Central Florida cities.
Central Florida features humid subtropical climate with hot summers and dry winters.
Summer season in Central Florida tends to be very hot and humid with average highs around 90s °F. High temperature and humidity are experienced from June until early October with short lived afternoon thunderstorm.
Winter season in Central Florida is dry with moderate temperature and low humidity. January is the coldest month of the year with daytime highs around 70s °F and nighttime lows around 50s °F.
- tank top
- cover up
Upscale dining & resort lounging
- nice casual dress
- strappy sandals
- long pants
- collared shirt
- close shoes
- cotton shirts
- comfortable shoes
- dressy dress
- walking shoes
- light sweater
ACTIVITIES AND ATTRACTIONS
- Cyprees Gardens
- Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge
- Brevard Zoo
- Busch Gardens
- Sea World Orlando
- Bok Tower Gardens
- Museum of Arts and Sciences
- Kennedy Space Center
- Blue Spring State Park
- Central Florida and Botanical Gardens
- Water Ski Hall of Fame
- Wekiwa Springs State Park
- Shadow Bay Park
- Warren Park
- Cypress Gardens
- Charles Hosmer Morse Museum of American Art
- Orlando Museum of Art
- Central Florida Railroad Museum
- Metropolitan Museum of Art
- Winter Garden Heritage Museum
- Polasek Albin Museum & Sculpt
- Paynes Creek State Park
- Lake Wales Depot Museum
- Bok Tower Gardens
- Bobb Carr Performing Arts Centre
- Auburndale Speedway
- Florida Air Museum
- Florida Dance Theatre
- Hollis Garden
- Frostproof Art League and Gallery
- Ridge Island Grooves